Questions I ask myself at 3am
In no particular order
- Why are you still up?
- Is this the right thing for you?
- Should you tell her how you feel?
- Now that you’ve told her how you feel, where you do go from here?
- Is this thing on?
- When did that mole starting hurting to touch?
- Does anyone miss me when I leave a room, or are they glad I’m finally gone?
- Was going back to school a waste of my time and money?
- As a divorced man, am I ever really okay, or am I just lying to myself to get up in the morning?
- Does this make me look fat?
- Why did I think eating peanut butter this late at night with pretzels was a good idea?
- Why do you never know when to quit in a relationship struggle, but in a professional situation, you roll over and die?
- How long does it hurt, before you slip away?
- Would the 80mph AMTRAK train kill you instantaneously, like in Willa Cather’s Paul’s Case? What happens if it only clips you?
- Twitter is listening, but will any of my friends read/care/be concerned?
- Laying in the gutter tonight, but the stars were blocked by massive, creepy amounts of fog. This wasn’t a question but a statement.
- Which tastes better, chicken or the egg?
- Will those dreams start again if I close my eyes? Will they have the same impact now that they did 7 years ago?
and in a nod to Lita Ford and Ozzy Osbourne
- “If I close my eyes forever / Will it all remain the same?”